Casio AB-500 Data Bank Watch Battery Change (Module 386)

Casio AB-500 Data Bank Watch Battery Change  (Module 386)

Hello fellow Casio enthusiasts from around the World, I hope you are all well.

In this post I will be changing the battery in the Casio AB-500 Tele Memo/Data bank watch.

 The battery in this watch has not been changed since January 2024 so it is due a new battery. The battery I will be using is a  type 371 silver oxide battery. I am using a silver oxide battery as they are less likely to leak when the battery nears it's end of life. I have been changing all the batteries in my watches to silver oxide as I had previously been using the cheaper alkaline batteries which have a tendancy to leak near the end of their life and that is something I would like to avoid. Leaking batteries can destroy watches and stop them from working. The battery cost me £4.95 which is quite expensive for a watch battery, but it has a less likely chance to leak and I'd rather go with this option.


As you can see, the display is faint and that is a tell tale sign that the battery is low on capacity, and this is the time it had a new battery.


First of all I placed the watch face down on a soft towel to avoid the front from picking up scratches.


 I then removed the strap using the tool in the picture above. I always remove the straps from my watches to work on them anyway, but in this case the strap has to be removed in order to remove the back of the watch.


With the strap removed, I used the prying tool to carefully lift the back from the watch. Once the back was removed, I now had access to the inside of the watch.


Once the back of the watch was removed, I carefully lifted out the battery insulator (the white plastic part to the right of the watch) that covers the battery, giving me full access to the battery. As you can see, I all ready have the new battery close at hand ready to make the battery changeover.


I carefully removed the old battery and immediately replace it with the new battery, I then reinstalled the battery insulator, checking that the rubber seal was still in place. 


After checking that the rubber back seal was still in place, I carefully replaced the watch back.


With the back of the watch securely in place, I went ahead and set the time and date. As you can see in the picture above, the LCD section is now well defined and not dim as it was with the old battery. You can also see in the picture above that the watch is quite heavily scratched and could do with being recased but these watches are so rare that it's hard to find a watch that can fit the bill. 


With the time set, I went ahead and replaced the strap and then I gave the watch a light polish with a cloth to remove the fingerprints.


Now that the strap is replaced and the watch polished, I put the watch back on it's holder ready to go back into the display case until the next time it needs a new battery.

As I have said earlier in the post, the watch is quite heavily scratched and the on gold the strap is wearing away, I would love to recase this watch but, it is difficult to find any decent examples of the watch at all never mind just a case and strap, but I will keep looking for one.

And that my friends is the end of this very short post but I do hope you will keep visiting for updates as and when they happen.

Until then please take care and continue to enjoy your Casio watches!!

casiotribe@blogspot.com

13/9/2026



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casio Watch F-91W Battery Change (Module 593)

Casio AB-200 Databank Watch (Module 321)

Casio AB-500 Data Bank Watch (Module 386)