Casio G-Shock GMA-S2100-1AER Watch (Module 5611)

 Casio G-Shock GMA-S2100-1AER Watch

6/2/22


Hello Casio watch lovers from around the world, I hope you are well.

As the title suggests, we will today be looking at the Casio G-Shock GMA-S2100 analogue and digital watch. You may be aware there are many variations of this watch. There are 2 main types, the GA-S2100 which is intended as a man's watch and the GMA-S2100 with is a unisex watch. The GA and the GMA watches are almost identical, with the difference being that the GMA is 3mm smaller over the face. I will say that the GMA watch is a better fit for my small 6.5" wrist, whereas I think the GA would be too big and bulky. The watch in the picture above belongs to my daughter and she loves it. It obviously looks big on her but that's how girls wear them these days. She had a choice of colours in the GMA range as there are quite a few. However she choose the black version with the rose gold
 dial markings and the reasoning behind that will become clearer later in this post.


In the picture above shows the original box the watch came with. The black arrows indicates the watch type, the orange arrow indicates the module number used inside the watch and the green arrow is pointing to where the watch was intended for. In this case it is the European Union (EU) The instruction booklet will also have the same information printed on them too. All Genuine Casio watches will be packed this way. I have bought Genuine watches from other countries, with the only difference being the Country it was intended for.


The picture above shows the perfect example. The watch on the left (GW-M5600-1ER) was imported 13 years ago and shows the initials WG, of which I cannot remember was. The watch on the right (GMA-S2100-1AER) was purchased in the United Kingdom. My point being is that both Genuine boxes have the same format of information in the same place, even after all this time. 


Another essential Genuine component of the G-Shock watch is the metal can the watch is supplied in. The can on the left came with my GW-M5600 and the can on the right was supplied with the GMA-S2100 inside. 

There are many fake  Casio watches out there, so if you are looking to buy a genuine Casio G-Shock in the future, all of the items I have mentioned above should be supplied with the watch. There should also be an instruction manual and tags with the watch details printed on. 


The GMA-S2100 watch was released in Tokyo, Japan, July 2021 and was a massive success for |Casio all over the world. The success of the watch was down to many things. Firstly, it was a G-Shock with quality assured toughness. Then there was the fact there was a vast range of colours and combinations for both the GMA and GA respectively. Yet, I do not believe they were the reason behind the watches popularity. My belief is that the watch shares it's unique hexagonal face with a watch that is incredibly expensive.


The watch I am referring to is the Audemars Piquet Royal Oak Offshore watch pictured above and below.


I know your thinking, "That looks nothing like the Casio GMA-S2100" and you would be correct. However there are third party manufacturers producing straps and cases that dramatically change the appearance of the watch, so much the watch is now referred to as the CasiOak.


 In the above picture, the watch outer case and strap have been replaced with a metal case and strap. I think it looks beautiful. 

picture, courtesy of TenTwelve.
As you can see in the picture above, there are many variations available for both the GMA and GA watches. The watches above are both GMA watches and have a positive LCD segment screen whereas my Daughters has the inverted or negative screen. Again both watches look fantastic.

picture courtesy of TenTwelve.

Above is another view of those gorgeous watches.


If you don't want your watch to look like a Audemars Piquet, then how about the Rolex Submariner (above). Again I think it looks a superb and I would certainly use this version if I was to mod a watch. This is definitely my favourite design I have seen so far. However, these straps and cases are not what I would call inexpensive. The Rolex case and strap above comes in around £140, without the watch inside. So if we add on the £90 for the watch, we have a total of £230. Personally, for such a good looking watch, it's a price I would happily pay. You must remember, inside is a super tough G-Shock that will give you years of trouble free service.  The watch above is a Casio GA-S2100, enclosed in the Submariner case and can easily be identified by it's silver function buttons on the side. The GMA watches have either black or coloured function buttons and is the easiest way to distinguish them apart without a ruler. 


The picture above shows the black function buttons on the GMA-S2100.

I will not be doing the modification in this post, but I will in the future and I will detail it in a separate post here at Casio Tribe.

OK, we will now look at my Daughters GMA-S2100 in further details.


In the above picture we can see the rear case of the watch. The blue arrow is pointing towards the little box containing the number 5611, which refers to the watch module number. The Green arrow is pointing to the model number, in this case a GMA-S2100. The bottom numbers are not a serial number but a "Batch" number. These markings are consistent with all genuine Casio watches. A fake Casio watch may still have marking but the print on the rear on the back case is uneven or even too faint to read.  


Even though the GMA-S2100 is advertised as a Ladies watch it is still a very big watch. The picture above gives some perspective of it's size against a Man's full size GW-M5600, which is anything but small. As I said earlier, it's not a small watch and is only 3mm smaller than the GA-S2100 men's version. I myself would go for the GMA-S2100 as I only have a small  6.5" wrist.


In the above picture, the red arrow is pointing to the Day indication arrow with today being Sunday. The orange arrow is pointing to the MUTE, ALM and SIG indicators on the LCD and when illuminated, indicates an alarm or hourly chime is set to emit a bleep or sound an alarm of which this watch has 5. The green arrow is pointing to the seconds of the minute and the yellow indicating the date. However these displays can be toggled to other menus and functions.


In this next image, the arrows are pointing to the words printed on the front of the case. You easily read the function of the button as indicated by the arrows. Another small tip, pressing the light button for 5 seconds, will activate the automatic lights. The lights will then illuminate when the watch is tilted at a certain angle for 2 seconds. 


The operation of this watch, is very simple. 
By pressing button "B" once, is the world time menu.
Pressing "B" again is the stopwatch menu and is started and stopped by pressing button "D".
Pressing "B" again is the timer function and can be set to 59:00 minutes.
Pressing "B" again is one of the 5 daily alarms that can be set.
Pressing "B" again is back to the date menu.
To adjust any of the above functions mentioned above, simply use button "B" to go to the required menu then press and hold button "A" until the character starts to flash. Then use buttons "C" & "D" to go up and down in value.
Every other function is adjusted in the same simple manner.


Yes, this is, without doubt a great watch and an excellent addition to the G-Shock family. However, I do have a couple of issues with the watch. My first one is the price. I know it's a G-Shock and should expect to pay more for it, but not this much more. My last little niggle is that for 5 minutes every hour, the minute hand obscures the LCD display. It's even worse between the hours of 4 and 5. With those small issues out of the way, I still think it is a superb watch with loads of after market modifications available. Would I buy one, yes I would but as I said, I would need the GMA version due to my stick like wrists.


Above is a GM-S2100 sporting a full case and strap conversion and looking lovely in my humble opinion.

I hope you have enjoyed this post and maybe learned about this watch and Casio watches in general. I hope I have also helped you to avoid falling victim to buying fake Casio watches in the future.

Until my next post, take care.

Casio Tribe.

6/2/22


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casio AB-200 Databank Watch (Module 321)

Casio Watches I Would Love to Own (Updated 2023)

Casio AB-500 Data Bank Watch (Module 386)